rynling: (Cool Story Bro)
[personal profile] rynling
Soul Blazer: all things bright and beautiful
https://moegamer.net/2026/07/14/soul-blazer-all-things-bright-and-beautiful/

There was something not only calming and pleasant about the tone in which this game told its story, but something that felt like it carried deeper, spiritual meaning. I hesitate to call it a “religious experience”, because that’s pure hyperbole — but I will say that Soul Blazer is one of the most potent examples of how the ideas and philosophies of a religious outlook on life can be effectively used in a game.

I just started replaying Soul Blazer, a Zelda-style JRPG published by Enix in 1992. The reason I'm returning to Soul Blazer now is because I'm interested in how it alludes to the Buddhist themes of the poet Kenji Miyazawa, so it's interesting to read about the game from a Christian perspective.

Here are a few more links that I'd like to have in one place for reference:

Soul Blazer is a foundational game
https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/comments/18kt0cd/soul_blazer_1992_snes_is_a_foundational_game_and/

This is a Reddit thread with a handful of good comments about what this game is and why it's appealing.

Retro Achiever Game #52: Soul Blazer
https://gemubaka.com/2019/03/31/retro-achiever-game-52-soul-blazer-snes/

A fairly extensive documentation of the game's mechanics and gameplay.

Mike's RPG Center Walkthrough
https://www.mikesrpgcenter.com/soulblazer/walkthrough.html

A quick, no-nonsense walkthrough. Not that you really need one for this game, but still.

Pro Action Replay and Game Genie codes for Soul Blazer
https://www.terraearth.com/soul-blazer/codes/

These work well with the Snes9X emulator, a platform that also features good XBox controller compatibility. Soul Blazer isn't a hard game, but each of the bosses presents a major difficulty spike, so the cheat code for invincibility comes in handy.

The Cycle of Isolation and Connection: A Thematic Analysis of Soul Blazer
https://www.rpgfan.com/feature/the-cycle-of-isolation-and-connection-a-thematic-analysis-of-soul-blazer/

This is more of a retelling of the story than an analysis, but it's always good to have a decent plot summary.

Profile

rynling: (Default)
Rynling R&D

September 2026

S M T W T F S
   12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 2nd, 2026 08:39 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios